Sunday, January 22, 2012

Protein Pancakes

During the work week I usually prep breakfast the night before and eat it while sitting at my desk in the morning. Naturally, when the weekends role around I'm excited to have time to make breakfast and enjoy it with a cup of coffee on my couch. This morning I made protein pancakes. I've seen this recipe all over the blog world and adapted this one from pbfingers.com (Julie Fagan's blog). This recipe is packed with protein and fiber to keep you satiated for hours! I added a healthy dose of cinnamon and vanilla extract for extra flavor. Cinnamon has been proven to help regulate blood sugar values and adds no extra calories to your meal. I also doubled the recipe (single serve recipe below) to make a few extra pancakes that I can top with peanut butter in the morning and walk out the door with for breakfast tomorrow. The cottage cheese and egg whites serve as your protein source while the oats act as the fiber, adding "bulk" to your meal keeping you full. I topped mine with a little agave nectar and 1 chopped banana. I try to start every morning with a banana, packed with potassium since I workout regularly and need to keep my potassium levels up to prevent cramping. Also, it adds fiber and takes care of 1-2 servings of fruit for the day (depending on the size).


The recipe:
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup 1% cottage cheese
2 egg whites or 1/3 cup egg whites (you could use 1 whole egg)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients in a lage bowl and blend (I used an immersion blender). The batter will end up looking like thick, lumpy pancake batter.


Then plate and dice up a banana and add agave nectar if you'd like to complete the meal!
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment