Saturday, January 28, 2012

Spinach and Artichoke Bean Dip

Tonight a few friends of mine and I are getting together for a pot luck bonfire! Yeah, we're pretty cool. Since I wasn't sure if anyone would be making veggies tonight I opted to bring a huge vegetable tray with dip. Naturally, I checked out the fridge to see what was on hand then I came up with a great idea. I'd make a take on Spinach and Artichoke dip by making it into a bean dip. I used white beans because they make a creamier consistency when blended. This dip is backed with protein and fiber from the beans, healthy fats from the Tahini (sesame seed paste) and olive oil, as well as a healthy dosing of antioxidants from the spinach and artichoke hearts. Not sure what antioxidants are? Stay tuned, I'll be posting a handout under the FYI section soon!

Back to the dip...

Spinach and Artichoke Bean Dip:
1 can white beans (low sodium or no salt added)
2 Tbsp of tahini
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Tbsp garlic (chopped)
1 tsp salt
1 laughing cow light cheese wedge
4 canned artichoke hearts
2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
2 tbsp water

-Start by pulsing the can of beans to get them going.

-Then add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and blend away to the desired consistency. Yup, it's that easy!


Looking back at this recipe a squeeze of lemon and a little lemon zest would have really livened this up. Sadly, I had no lemon in the house. Try adding in 2 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp lemon zest for an extra punch of flavor!


No comments:

Post a Comment