First things first, get yourself two medium/large summer fresh zucchini. Cut into French-fry shaped pieces. Toss your zucchini "fries" in about 3/4 cup egg whites (I always keep cartons of egg whites in my fridge for stuff like this- easier than cracking and separating eggs).
Have your kiddos help you with the next step- the more hands on stuff the kids can get involved with, the more willing they are to try the final product. Have the lil guys help you combine bread crumbs, ground flaxseed, parmesan cheese, ground black pepper and Italian seasoning in a gallon size bag... or multiple gallon sized bags if you have multiple helpers :) Close the bag and give it a little shake to combine the ingredients. Then open again and drop about 5-8 zucchini fries in at a time.
Seal the bag tightly and gently shake until each zucchini fry is well coated. This is a very fun step for children... or 29 year old children at heart!
Lay out your coated zucchini fries so they are evenly spread across a prepared baking sheet.
Then bake in your preheated oven until golden brown and crunchy on the outside.
And voila! You can enjoy as is straight off the plate, or dip in warmed marinara sauce as your "ketchup."
2 medium/large zucchini
3/4 cup egg whites (or about 3 whole eggs slightly beaten)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat baking sheet with non-stick spray
2. Slice each zucchini in half width wise, then slice in thin fry-shaped slices.
3. Toss zucchini in egg whites.
4. Combine remaining ingredients in gallon sized Ziploc bag and toss to coat.
5. Add small amount zucchini to the bag at a time (about 5-8 "fries"). Seal the bag and toss until each piece is well coated. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and lightly coat with non-stick spray (I prefer the olive oil spray for this).
6. Bake in preheated oven until browned and crisp on the outside, about 20-30 minutes.
7. Enjoy with warm marinara sauce if desired.