Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cold Day... Soup's on the Menu!


I wish more people would realize just how easy homemade soup is! Soup's truly a go to in my home, especially on cold days like today. It may be icy outside, but the smell of spicy garlic and sweet onions are percolating through my kitchen. Broccoli soup is definitely something I make at least once a month in the winter- I always seem to have some onions, celery and frozen broccoli on hand. This is a great way to reap the health benefits of broccoli which is chock full of nutrients including folic acid, vitamin C and fiber.




My dog, Buddy always sits right behind me as I chop the veggies, hoping something delicious will come his way- Yes, you know you are a good dietitian when even your dog eats his veggies ;) Check out my recipe for broccoli soup. I topped the soup with creamy, protein-packed greek yogurt and paired it with a grilled cheese and fried-green tomato sandwich, delish!


Creamy Broccoli Soup

2 sweet onions, diced
5 celery stalks, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 Tb oil
1 Tb dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 bag frozen broccoli ( you can use fresh too, maybe about 3 heads)
32oz low-sodium chicken broth (you can use veggie broth)
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup milk (I use skim)

Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until onions start to become tender, about 5 minues.  Sitr in garlic and cook another 2 minutes.  Mix in spices, salt and pepper and cook another minute.  Add broccoli and broth and bring to a boil.  Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer about 15-20 minutes or until broccoli is tender.  Turn off heat.  If you have a hand blender, use this to blend broccoli until soup is smooth and creamy.  Alternately, you can blenderize soup in batches in a blender.  Add pureed soup back to the soup pot, turn heat on low.  Stir in milk and parmesan and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment