Saturday, January 21, 2012

Welcome all!

When deciding what should be the first post, I opted out of a S'more cake recipe I made for a friends birthday and choose the healthy granola bites I just popped in the oven! S'more recipe will come soon, I promise :)

I usually bake granola bars or bites over the weekend so I can have "go to" snacks during the week. Weekends are great cooking prep times to keep you from ordering food out during the week with the excuse of "I have no time to cook".  1 thing I should confess right off the bat is, I usually don't measure things. Actually, I rarely follow a recipe. I just throw things in a bowl and hope for the best! I blame my mom for this. In fact, I have a recipe book my mom wrote of all the traditional Lebanese meals we've had growing up. Each recipe says "to taste" or "a pinch" when describing the amount of cumin or tumeric or allspice to use. For this reason, No meal I make will ever taste like the ones Mom makes. I think it's a ploy to make sure I come home for a meal now and then :). Back to the granola bites...

The bites are baking away right now for the next 25-35 minutes, depending on your oven. Since I used up the last of the cashew butter, I handed the jar over to Emma and she's licking it clean as we speak!



You can find the "recipe" below or on the Recipe tab. Hope you like them! 


Granola Bites

2 cups of crushed cinnamon chex cereal
2 cups instant oats
2 handfuls of trail mix (chopped up)*
1 cup of vanilla soy milk
5 chopped apricots
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cashew butter
coconut sugar (save for end)

-Preheat oven to 350F. Mix ingredients in bowl. Spray 9x9 inch pan with cooking spray or use cupcake liners to make mini cupcake portioned out bites like I did. Press down bar mix in pan and sprinkle coconut sugar.  Bake away for 25-35 minutes (depending on your oven). 

* you can use any mix of nuts, I just used a trail mix from whole foods



No comments:

Post a Comment