Sunday, February 16, 2014

Homemade Trail Mix



Wow, it's been a while! Sorry guys, life got a little hectic and there wasn't much time for blogging. You'd think I would have blogged during the snow storm but I was too sick to even think about it. So, here's a long overdo post!

I make this trail mix just about every week on Sunday. I vary the fruit and nuts used but the basic recipe stays the same. It's been nice to have something sweet/salty all week long when I need a quick snack. I prefer this to other store bought trail mixes that are loaded with sugar and canola oil. Even the "all natural" or "organic" trail mixes have a ton of extra sugar. When I educate clients on label reading, we always cover ingredient lists. Try not to fall under the "it's organic, so it must be good" frame of mind.

This trail mix takes a total of 15-20 minutes of work! It's really easy and delicious. Here's what you'll need.

Trail Mix:

-2 c. almonds (raw)
-1 c. macadamia nuts (dry roasted with sea salt)
-1 c. pecan halves (raw)
-1/2 c. shredded coconut (unsweetened)
-1 egg white
-1 T honey
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1 tsp. dried orange peel
-1/4 tsp. ground ginger
-dash nutmeg
-1 1/2 c. raisins (unsweetened)
-1/2 c. goji berries (unsweetened)
-12 slices dried mango diced (unsweetened)

*Feel free to use other nuts (cashews, pistachios, etc.) or fruit (dried banana chips, blueberries, etc.) I change it up each week myself!

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F, line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with coconut spray.
Step 2: Mix all the nuts together and add wet ingredients to a bowl. Toss until well combined.
Step 3: Pour onto baking sheet and cook for 5-8 minutes (until fragrant and browning), toss halfway through and repeat on the other side.
Step 4: Add all dried fruit and mix.

Step 4: Eat!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I came here today HOPING this recipe would be up. I can't wait to make this. Yummmm.

    ReplyDelete