Fall flavors are in full bloom. I threw a few of my favorite fall flavors into a skillet and let them cook up. I must say, the end result was pretty tasty! This would be a great make ahead meal or the week but it also comes together in 20 minutes or less, making for a great weeknight dinner. I used precut butternut squash but you could use frozen or buy a whole squash. If you don't have carrot juice feel free to swap it out for orange juice but it will come out a little sweeter.
Butternut Squash and Chicken Sausage Saute
-1/2 small yellow onion, diced
-1 apple, diced (I used pink crisp)
-2 cups chopped butternut squash (fresh or frozen)
-1 package apple chicken sausage
-1/4 tsp ground ginger
-dash sea salt
-3 T 100% carrot juice
-1/2 T champagne vinegar (optional, gives a little tang)
1. Chop all ingredients and set aside each individually.
2. Use cooking spray or 1/2 T oil (of your choice) to a skillet. Turn onto medium high heat.
3. Add onions and sea salt to skillet, saute until translucent.
4. Add butternut squash and ginger to skillet.
5. Once squash is fork tender add apple and chicken sausage.
6. Cook another 5-10 minutes, until sausage browns (they are already pre cooked).
7. Add a carrot juice and vinegar to deglaze pan and let liquid simmer.