Monday, May 14, 2012

Smoked Turkey Salad

Seems like I may be on a "salad" kick. I do that with food but at I'll try to bring a variety to the table, promise.

I went to my favorite wine/coffee bar a few weeks ago and had a "salad sandwich" which typically I don't order because they are mayonnaise with a side of meat which is not only unhealthy but unappealing because I absolutely hate mayo. I dislike the texture, the smell, the flavor, everything. Mayo is to me as Ketchup is to Morgan (SAT throwback, hope I used that correctly...). Anyways, back to the salad sandwich it was smoked chicken with dried fruit, SO SO good and didn't have mayo (or at least I couldn't detect it). So naturally I had to try to recreate it. So today I stepped into the kitchen and created this recipe. I hope you like it.

Smoked Turkey Salad
-1 package of smoked turkey deli meat (I used organic applegate farms)
-1/2 package uncured ham (also applegate farms)
-6 unsulpherized/unsweetened dried apricots
-3 medjool dates (pitted)
-1/4 cup chopped pecans
-1 heaping tbsp dijon mustard
-1 tbsp fat free greek yogurt (I suppose you could use mayo)
-1 tsp lemon juice
-pepper to taste

First you'll want to dice/cube the smoked turkey and ham. Then chop the nuts/dried fruits into bite sizes pieces, you don't want big chunks in this recipe. Next whisk up the wet ingredients and add them to the bowl. Mix and serve! It's really that easy.
                      
                             before you chop them
after you chop them

Next choose how you want to eat it!
1. In a sandwich. Try whole wheat bread, a slice of smoked gouda and lettuce.
2. In a whole wheat wrap with avocado and arugula
3. In a bowl on top of local salad greens! 
YUM!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment