Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mango Orange Salad

Happy Mother's Day to all those Moms out there! This morning my brother and I teamed up to make a brunch for our mom. My brother worked on some home made biscuits and I created a side salad to go alongside the eggs and biscuits. This salad was so light and refreshing. I hate when brunch turns into a heavy meal leaving you sluggish all day. I understand "brunch" is breakfast and lunch in one but it doesn't mean you can eat 2-3x as much as you normally would. After this great brunch we went for a walk with Emma, no food comas here!

Salads can be a great light summer time meal or side dish for cook outs! This salad is packed with fruit and vegetables. If you want to make it into a "meal" top it with some grilled chicken, fish, or an egg (like I did) to add protein and staying power. 

Another great thing about salads is how easy they are to make. If you don't have some of these fruits on hand feel free to swap them out with pears and berries or apples and grapes. Really, anything can work.

Mango Orange Salad

-1 champagne mango (peeled and diced)
-1 naval orange peeled and segmented (you can use a blood orange too)
-4 cups of spring vegetable mix
-1/4 of an english cucumber thinly sliced
-1 hass avocado sliced

For the Vinaigrette
-1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
-1/4 cup champagne vinegar
-2 tbsp dijon mustard
-1 tbsp lemon juice
-1 tbsp honey
-salt and pepper to taste

(shake it up and dress your salad. This recipe will make extra if you lightly dress your salad like I did).

This salad will serve 4 as a side salad or 2 for a meal salad (protein added). 

In the salad I showed above I added 1 egg sunny side up and let the runny yolk also dress my salad. It was delish!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment