I've been meaning to post this recipe for a while. I always look forward to making this dish because it provides a nice break from my typical weekday breakfast routine (oatmeal, frittata, protein pancakes, oatmeal, frittata, protein pancakes...). Y'all know by now that I love my bulk breakfast recipes to prep ahead of time on the weekend... and then I have my easy breakfast ready to heat and eat during the busier work week.
This recipe can prepared for a beautiful Sunday brunch, and leftovers stay delicious and ready to portion out for your quick weekday breakfast.
And of course, no meal is complete without beautiful, colorful, nutrient-rich, fiber-rich vegetables! Seeing a little green on your plate just makes you feel good about yourself ;)
So, that being said, start by cooking down a batch of greens- I prefer collards for this recipe. You can cook them any way your prefer, but I like cooking in a pan with about 2Tb water.
Next, prepare 1 cup whole grains of choice according to package directions. I am loving Bob's Red Mill "Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal" for this... a blend of whole grain brown rice, corn, sorghum and buckwheat. But you could use millet, polenta or even stone ground grits.
Whisk your milk with salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and two eggs. Stir into cooked grains, along with cheese and butter.
Fold about 3 cups of the cooked collards into your cheesy grains.
Lightly coat 13x9 baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread your mixture in and bake in preheated oven.
When grains and greens are set, remove from oven and use the back of a spoon to make 8 indentations in your casserole. Crack eggs 1 at a time into the indents. Bake another 12 minutes (for soft cooked eggs) or 15 minutes for more firm egg yolks. Remove from oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let stand another 10 minutes before enjoying. Great with hot sauce!
Greens N Grains Breakfast Bake
1 bunch collards, washed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
1 cup Bob's Red Mill "mighty tasty hot cereal" (or stone ground grits, millet, polenta)
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
10 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat 13x9 baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
2. Cook collards, covered in large pan with 2Tb water until wilted down. Set 3 cups aside.
3. Cook 1 cup whole grains in water according to package directions.
4. Whisk milk with black pepper, salt, red pepper flakes, and 2 eggs. Whisk milk mixture into cooked grains along with cheese and butter.
5. Stir cooked greens into grain mixture. Spread evenly in prepared baking dish and bake 25-30 minutes, or until set.
6. Remove dish from oven and use back of spoon to make 8 indents. Crack 8 remaining eggs- one into each indent. Bake another 12 minutes (for soft cooked eggs) or 15 minutes for more firm egg yolks.
7. Remove from oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let stand another 10 minutes before enjoying.
104.3 % Daily Value*
|Total Fat 11.9g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 4.9g||24%|
|Total Carb 23.3g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||17%|
|Vitamin A 127%||Vitamin C 22%|
|Calcium 23%||Iron 16%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.