And not only is the taste of the chocolate-cherry combination magical, but there are some great health benefits behind my choice in ingredients as well... as if you could expect anything less ;) These tasty little morsels can act as a great post workout refuel with the healthy carbohydrates supplied by the fruits and oats. As far as the cherries... these tart, tasty little fruits have been found to contribute some incredible anti-inflammatory effects... great to aid in recovery of sore muscles and reduce oxidative stress after a tough workout.
But why stop with the cherries? We've all heard that the polyphenols in chocolate provide some pretty great anti-oxidant properties. But let's be honest, a chocolate bar (yes, even dark chocolate) is still candy. By using pure unsweetened cocoa powder in this recipe, we are gaining all the benefits of the cocoa bean, but bypassing the extra sugar found in store bought chocolate products.
So, have you got 10 minutes? Then, you have time to make your own energy bites!
Start by pulsing the oats, flax and cocoa powder in a food processor. Then add in your cherries, dates, almonds, and vanilla. Pulse until you have a fine mixture. Add in your unsweetened almond milk, tablespoon at a time, until your mixture comes together and resembles the texture of cookie dough.
Next, just roll your mixture into balls- about the size of a rounded tablespoon. I was able to get 24 balls out of my mixture by making them a 2-3 bite size (or one bite if your my husband). Enjoy!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Bites
1 cup oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 cup dried cherries
1/2Tb vanilla extract
2-3 Tb unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1. Pulse the oats, flax and cocoa powder in a food processor.
2. Add in your cherries, dates, almonds, and vanilla. Pulse until you have a fine mixture.
3. Add in your unsweetened almond milk, tablespoon at a time, until your mixture comes together and resembles the texture of cookie dough.
4. Roll mixture into balls, about the size of a rounded tablespoon in order to get 24 bites.
5. Store in an airtight container in a refrigerator.