This recipe is great to make ahead for the week or for a dinner party. You can prep it the night before or earlier in the day for an easy weeknight meal. You could even prep it and freeze the ingredients for later!
Paleo Shepherd's Pie
-2 lbs. ground bison (90% lean)
-1 yellow onion (large)
-1 32 oz bag baby carrots, diced
-1/2 c. low sodium beef broth
-1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
-2 medium russet potatoes
-3 medium sweet potatoes
-3 stalks celery
-1 heaping T diced garlic
-1 sprig rosemary
-1 T thyme
-1/2 T parsley
-1 T evoo
1. Dice potatoes and add to pot with water and salt. Boil potatoes until fork tender (~15 minutes,
depending on how big your cubes are).
2. Add almond milk, salt and pepper (to taste) to potatoes after water is drained. Place back on heat and use immersion blender to puree into a smooth mixture. Set aside
3. Add EVOO to large skillet and add ground bison with salt/pepper. Cook halfway through (bison will continue to cook in oven).
4. Set bison aside and add veggies to greased skillet. Add garlic and onion first. Then remainder of veggies and saute with spices until tender. I cooked them for about 8-10 minutes.
5. Add all ingredients to the greased dish. Then place 1/2 cup beef broth over the veggies/bison. This will help keep the meat/veggies tender as it continues to cook.