Sunday, November 17, 2013

Beef and Plantain Stew

By 10 am this past Saturday I had already baked a loaf of banana bread, made a batch of raw coffee brownies, and have stew in the crock-pot. Sounds like a lot of work but it wasn't. I used 2 kitchen appliances, well, 3 if you count the oven. Total prep time for all foods, maybe 20 minutes. So as I wait for my slice of bread to digest and finish my coffee I figured I'd blog about the stew I just made.

Crock-pots are wonderful. They make life so much easier. You can pretty much throw anything into a crock-pot and it will come out tasting wonderful. This recipe has only 5 main ingredients and a few spices to get it all going. You'll be seeing a lot more crock-pot friendly meals on the blog in the next few months as the weather gets colder and colder here in NC.

Sorry I forgot to snap a photo here!

Beef and Plantain Stew

-1 lb of lean grass fed beef cubes
-2 green plantains, sliced
-1/2 medium to large yellow onion, diced
-3-4 c. kale
-2 c. low sodium beef stock
-2 c. water
-1/2 tsp. ground ginger
-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
-1/2 tsp. ground garlic or 2 garlic cloves
-salt to taste

Throw it all into the crock-pot at once and let it cook. I put mine on high then set it to low later in the afternoon. You can certainly brown your beef before putting into the crock-pot but I was only half awake this morning when I threw this together so that did not happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment