Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Asian Salmon and stir fry

Happy Hump Day all! I hope it's warm and beautiful wherever you are. It's definitely a nice day here but sadly my iced coffee is almost done! Man, I love coffee...

Enough of the small talk, let's get to this fish dish shall we? This is a quick weeknight meal. Honestly, it took me about 30 minutes or less from start to finish. I created the recipe on a whim and called out ingredients and amounts to my brother so he could keep track, I was thinking of all of you guys! :)

I'll write this out in the order I cooked it. I did chop up a sweet potato and put roast it but that was a so-so addition. I couldn't find baby corn at the grocery store so I had to make a substitution and sauteed sweet potato in stir fry just seemed wrong.

Preheat your oven to 400F

THE VEGGIES

- 1 bunch of bok choy (baby or regular)
-1 red pepper
-3 carrots
-1 shallot
-2 cloves garlic or 1/2 garlic scape
-2 cups diced shitake mushrooms
-1 can baby corn or 1/2 package fresh baby corn (if you can find it)
-1 tbsp sesame oil
-1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
-1 tsp honey
-1/2 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp rice vinegar
-2 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
-1 tsp lemon juice,
-pepper to taste

Start by putting oil in a wok or saute pan over medium high heat. Add shallots and garlic scapes. Then add the other spices/sauces as the shallots and garlic soften. Add all other vegetables and saute until soft. Make sure you cook the bok choy well otherwise it can taste a little bitter.
saute those veggies!


While the veggies are get your fish out and whip up the following sauce.

FISH MARINADE

-1 tbsp sesame oil
-1 tbsp rice vinegar
-2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
-1 tbsp honey
-1/4 tbsp chili powder

Mix the above ingredients and then pour over your fish. NOTE: if you plan making this dish in advance rather than winging it like I did then it'd be a great idea to marinate your fish for an hour or so in the sauce above for extra flavor.


pour the sauce over your fish

THE FISH
- 1.5ish lbs of fresh caught salmon

NOTE: It's best to buy wild caught salmon, farm raised salmon is lower in nutrients and omegas (those heart healthy fats we all love). Farm raised salmon is actually gray and dyed pink because they aren't able to eat the plankton that wild caught salmon do giving them all their phytochemicals and pretty pink color.

I cooked the fish for about 20-35 minutes and bumped up the heat to broil at the very end (for about 5 minutes)

All done!









Now you're dinner is all done and ready to eat! This recipe made enough for 3 hungry adults and 1 very happy pup!













No comments:

Post a Comment