Thursday, March 29, 2012

Protein Breakfast Smoothie

The past few weeks have been beautiful outside, the sun has been up and the weather has been warm. Then this past weekend happened...it got cold :(. I'm not really a cold weather person, in fact, I very much so dislike the cold, here's to hoping warm weather creeps back in soon!

I rambled a bit, sorry. Back to when it's warm, there's nothing like a cold smoothie for breakfast to wake you up in the morning on your way to work or right after a super sweaty/hot workout! When making a smoothie the possibilities are endless. Here is just one of the many smoothies you'll see me drinking.




Normally, I like to add a vegetable into the mix (spinach or kale, fresh or frozen). When I made this I was out of all greens! When you make this, I'd go ahead and add that extra punch of iron and fiber from spinach, sure it will change the color of your drink but you won't taste it, I promise! I actually missed the spinach in my smoothie, while I was drinking it I felt like something was missing.

Chocolate Cherry Protein Smoothie
-1 cup frozen pitted cherries
-1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used Dynamite)
-1/8 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 cup vanilla soymilk
-1/2 cup water (or less if you like your smoothie thicker)
-1 or 2 handfuls spinach (like I mentioned I ran out but I usually add this)

Tips:
1. If you don't like using protein powder try using fat free or 2% greek yogurt for extra protein
2. Sub frozen cherries for any frozen fruit to alter flavor
3. Get creative with the extract (or you can omit it if you don't have any). Sometimes I use almond extract
4. If you are having this as a post workout protein shake add coconut water instead of plain water to get a boost of electrolytes to replenish what you lost during your awesome sweat session!


No comments:

Post a Comment