Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ode to the Fritatta


Fritatta is a go-to last minute dish in the Davis household- it is super easy to grab some leftover veggies, or even roast some fresh veggies, then top with the egg mixture and throw in your oven.  This is a dish that even Sonny knows how to make!  And, it is super versatile.  You can substitute the seasonings, veggies, type of cheese used, and even throw in some meat if you like. 

Traditionally, fritattas are started in an oven-proof pan on the burner- you can saute your ingredients (whether they be veggies, potatoes or meat) then add your egg mixture over top.  Let the egg start to set just like you would when making an omelet.  Then, you pop that bad boy right in the oven to finish it off. 

So, that's how it's usually done... BUT, fritatta nights for me typically mean I don't have a lot of time.  Therefore, I keep it easy on myself.  I just throw my veggies in a pie plate or 9x9 casserole dish, throw my eggy mix on top and pop it in the oven.  Super easy... and while it cooks in the oven you have time to clean up the kitchen, walk the dog or fit in a quick workout!

Tonight, I had a head of cauliflower and a red bell pepper that needed to be used up.  So, I chopped my veggies into bite-sized pieces, tossed them in some olive oil, pepper and garlic powder, then roasted my veggies.  While they roast, mix up the egg mixture and cut up some fresh veggies for a side salad.

I cut the fat and cholesterol in this recipe by using only 4 whole eggs and the rest are the egg whites only.  There is roughly 5g fat and 200mg of cholesterol found in an egg.  All of the cholesterol is found in the egg yolk, so this brings you pretty close to the recommended limit of 300mg dietary cholesterol per day.  HOWEVER, egg yolks are also a source of many nutrients, including vitamins A, D, E, K, and your B vitamins.  That's why I recommend including egg yolks in a healthy meal plan, but trying to limit to no more than one a day on average.  I whisked low-fat cottage cheese into my eggs to get a nice, light product.  Since cottage cheese is pretty high in sodium, I did not add any extra salt to my fritatta, but added in some extra flavor with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.

I topped my fritatta with a dollop of fat-free, plain Greek yogurt and a dash of hot sauce.  You have probably noticed that I top A LOT of stuff with Greek yogurt- the main reason for this is because I love it!!  Secondly, Greek yogurt is a great source of protein.  Thirdly, what a great way to fit in some extra dairy (a food group I admit I sometimes fall short) and stock up on that good ol' calcium.  Check out my recipe!

Roasted Cauliflower Fritatta
1 head cauliflower, chopped in bite-sized pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped in bite-sized pieces
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tb olive oil
4 whole eggs
6 egg whites
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or use 1Tb dried parsley)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Additional Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Toss the cauliflower and red pepper in the black pepper, garlic and olive oil.  Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender and cauliflower has started to brown.  Set aside.


Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, Parmesan, parsley and black pepper. 


Evenly coat a pie dish or 9x9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.  Layer your roasted veggies evenly in the dish.  Pour your egg mixture over the veggies.  Sprinkle with the additional Parmesan cheese.  Pop your fritatta in the preheated oven and cook until egg is set and top is slightly browned, about 20-25 minutes. 

1 comment: